Thursday, March 2, 2017

Life Is Why

                                          Life is Why        By: Leesa T Wright 
                                                       
Me (left) Riding Sonny and Lynda (right)
   We all have a bucket list of rides we want to go to and places we want to ride at. This November I got to check one of those rides off my bucket list. My friends and I went to the 35th Annual American Heart Association Beach Ride in Myrtle Beach, SC.

The American Heart Association

  The American Heart Association is a national, voluntary health organization that was founded in 1924. Building healthier lives free of cardiovascular disease and stroke is the mission of the AHA by 20% while reducing deaths from cardiovascular diseases by 20% by 2020.
A beautiful picture I was lucky to take the morning of Veteran's Day

History of the Beach Ride

  Back in 1981 a man by the name of Jack Monroe started the "Ride-A-Thon" or Beach Ride as its called now. That first year there were only 20 riders. That number has now grown over 2,000 participants annually making the Beach Ride the largest trail ride in South Carolina. The Beach Ride has helped fund over $4 million of research and educational projects for the American Heart Association. Mr. Monroe's many years of leadership in the community and for the AHA is now recognized with the Jack Monroe Service Award. Thank you Mr. Jack Monroe for all your hard work.

Lynda Shackelford and her Morgan
horse Spirit.
About the Ride

  This is the only time folks can now ride on Myrtle Beach, SC anymore. The 35th Annual American Heart Association Beach Ride took place November 9-13th at Lakewood Camping Resort. The campground is oceanfront and opens up once a year to horses. The campground has full hook ups and even WiFi! Lol! You get to camp with your horse on your campsite. I would say must people need to get panels to put horses in because some sites do not have trees to high tie too. You can also ride from your campsite right out to the beach.
  This is a fun filled five day event. This year there was a poker run, a parade and costume contest, clinics on the beach, an obstacle challenge, food, vendors, karaoke, nighty entertainment, an auction and on Saturday there is the 20 mile beach ride and awards ceremony that night.
  Riders work hard all year to raise money to go to this ride. Riders must raise a minimum of $150 to attend. My friends and I did stuff like ask family, friends, businesses,  have a bake sale, sell things we make and I did pictures for donations. These are just a few ways to raise money. There are many, many more ways to raise money for this great cause and event.

 My Friends and I

Broke Ass Folks Saddle Club riding down the beach.
  My friends and I made a saddle club for this ride called Broke Ass Folks. Why the crazy name?? Well we are just like most people these days, broke, happy to ride horses but have big hearts willing to give and help when we can.
  In our group we had 3 Superstar Riders, Lynda Shackelford, Mike Stewart, and myself, Leesa Wright. Lynda and I rode in the parade with some of the other Superstar riders. ( Superstar riders are riders who have raised over $1000 in donations. )
From left: Amanda Helmick,
Ericka Tally and Anissa Anderson.
  We had two riders that rode in the poker run.
   Adam Crane and Lynda tried their hand at the obstacle challenge that was set up on the beach. And we all rode on the beach. I even went swimming when my colt Sonny got scared by a wave and unseated me. Sorry, there are no pictures of that. Lol!!
Dwayne Wright (my husband ) and Me
  We also had two very special riders with us. One was Christina Aldridge and her totally blind paint horse Tahoe. Tahoe was at the beach ride two years ago and at that time he had site in one eye. Now totally blind he puts all his faith and trust into his rider Christina. They are an amazing team to watch.
Me and Sonny after I went swimming!!
  And last but not least my husband Dwayne Wright, stroke survivor. Back in 2000 my husband had a stroke way too early in his life. He has worked hard to come this far. So this year was not just a bucket list ride for us. It was a way to say thank you and give back. Without  people like the 1277 riders this year raising money, $315,000 this year, my husband may not be here.

My husband, My life, My why, Dwayne
riding his horse Tucker
   Folks ask why donate?? My husband is why, but the best answer is Life, Life is why. So if you ever get the chance to go, GO! If you can't go, help by donating to a rider going. All this money goes to the American Heart Association. This was not just a ride or a bucket list ride, its a life changing ride. As for me and my friends we are already making plans to go next year. Please feel free to join us!!

For more information please contact
Sara Nelson, director

www.ahabeachride.org



Robin Crane